In the 18th century, the baroque Main Guardhouse (Hauptwache) building was the location of the most important police station in the free city of Frankfurt. Where the military used to stand guard behind the arcades in the first floor is now a café and a favourite meeting point in the city centre.
- baroque building from 1729/30
- main front arcaded ground floor (behind it the guardrooms of the city militia) and axial gable in front of the high mansard roof
- relocated in 1968 and – with the gable relief by J. B. Schwarzenberger – extensively renovated
Year of construction: 1728-30
Architect: J.J. Samheimer